If so, then this might just be your lucky day!
Radcliffe Group Ltd is a digital media and publishing company operating in the cardiology and vascular medicine space. We are currently recruiting for an experienced Managing Editor to oversee three online journals within our gold open access portfolio.
This is a brilliant opportunity for a Managing Editor with experience in a similar role, working for a medical journal, with a track record of success and who is adept at multi-tasking and coordinating the workflow of content from commissioning and submission, through to agreed publication deadlines.
You should enjoy working as a pivotal member of a fast-paced and high performing team. This role requires someone who can work well with others as part of a successful team and autonomously to successfully deliver high-quality content.
- Enjoy working hands-on with manuscripts and have a love of words and scientific content.
- Enjoy having fun and working with people who share common values.
- Want to work in a family-friendly and flexible culture.
- Can work proactively, at pace.
Ensure efficient day to day running of a portfolio of three digital open-access journals
Plan and implement commissioning strategies to solicit citable journal contributions ensuring a consistent flow of content
Identify appropriate topics for special collections
To determine and manage a schedule with authors and reviewers for all published content
Manage pipeline to achieve journal and portfolio specific objectives regarding journal growth, turnaround times, visibility, and readership
Work with the Review Editor to ensure timely peer review is in place for all submissions
Work with the production department to support content delivery including checking proofs and content for accuracy, style and correctness.
Support the editorial coordinator with handling permissions and queries as necessary
Carry out first and second edits of articles and act as arbiter of the production values for the journals, which will be overseen by the Publishing and Editorial Director
Ensure all published content adheres to company style and meets external stakeholder guidance (i.e. abstracting services)
To regularly monitor key journal statistics and provide regular updates to journal editorial board members in addition to creating an annual report for board meetings
Organizing and chairing regular meetings (online preferably) with the journals’ editorial board members
Attend academic conferences when required. This may include international travel where appropriate.
Engage with marketing to plan and produce attractive copy for marketing materials such as newsletters, press releases, social media posts etc.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, preferably from the life sciences, biology or health.
- Solid experience in journal publishing workflows and commissioning experience is essential, ideally in a managing editor role and preferably in STM
- Demonstrable understanding of journal publication and production processes (especially open access) and how journals serve the research community
- Exceptional grasp of written and spoken English, spelling and grammar
- Familiarity with manuscript management platforms such as Editorial Manager/Scholar One
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise work effectively and deal with competing priorities
- Excellent communication skills and confidence liaising with physicians
- A keen eye for detail
- Direct experience managing a journal or journal portfolio
- Strong reporting and excellent presentation skills
- Experience using Adobe or InDesign is desirable
- Strong understanding of rights, permissions and publishing ethics.
- Sound understanding of operational efficiency and editorial rigour
Aside from an excellent base salary, we offer a number of benefits. Our approach to pay and perks is evolving on an ongoing basis. At the moment it includes the following benefits:
- 25 days holiday (plus an additional 3 days for Christmas)
- Pension contributions
- Private Medical Insurance (post probation)
- Flexible working patterns
- A hybrid model with the best of both remote and office working (ideally 1-2 office days per week)
- Potential for sponsorship for professional development
- 5 days leave for professional development
- Charity and community initiatives with 2 CSR days
- Choice of tech kit (Mac or PC)
- Team and company socials
- Non-guaranteed profit-related bonus scheme
- EMI share options scheme (eligibility of 1-year service)
Please note that it's important to us that you get the best start in your new role and so we may ask successful candidates to be in more frequently during their first 1-2 weeks.
We pride ourselves on being a family-friendly and flexible company. We operate a hybrid working model where individuals can benefit from both remote and in-office working. The specific ratio of office vs home working is role dependent.
Well-being is important to us and we have a well-being special interest group, trained Mental Health First Aiders and progressive family-friendly policies. Giving back is also important to us and we spend time on various initiatives such as our virtual mission to raise money for Cardiac Risk in the Young (whilst keeping ourselves active!) and One Can Trust food collections.
We believe that working hard should be coupled with learning and having fun together and previous activities have included a talk from a hostage negotiator, BBQ boat trips on the Thames, a charity cricket match, a virtual pumpkin carving contest, Christmas Quiz, bake-offs as well as more regular activities like our monthly games night (we are always happy to support Radcliffians in creating new interest/activity groups too!).
Radcliffe Group is an inclusive company where you can be yourself and we embrace diversity. We encourage applications from all backgrounds, ethnicity, age, religion, sex, gender or sexual orientation. Having a diverse workforce is important to us.
Interested candidates who meet the person specification and feel they would enjoy working in the Radcliffe Culture should send a cover letter outlining their salary expectations, location, interest and suitability for the role along with a brief CV to: